CATCH CERTIFICATION SYSTEM
The issue of Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated (IUU) fishing in world fisheries is of serious concern. IUU fishing undermines efforts to conserve and mange fish stocks in all capture fisheries.
The Ministry of Commerce & Industry vide notification No.2/97/2009-EI&EP dt. 11.12.2009 has notified MPEDA as the nodal agency to validate the catch certificate for the export of seafood to EU countries in accordance with the EU Regulation 1005/2008 which has been designated to prevent, deter and eliminate Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated (IUU) fishing. Catch certification is an integral part of the IUU Regulation which will facilitate traceability of all fishery products traded within EU countries. Catch certification regime started from 1st January 2010 and as on March 2014, we have validated 38174 catch certificates for the exports to EU through our field offices located at all maritime states.
a. Illegal fishing means fishing activities:
- conducted by national or foreign fishing vessels in maritime waters under the jurisdiction of a state, without the permission of that state, or in contravention of its laws and regulations;
- Conducted by fishing vessels flying the flag of sates that are contracting parties to a relevant regional fisheries management organization but which operate in contravention of the conservation and management measures adopted by the organization and by which those states are bound, or of relevant provisions of the applicable international law; or
- Conducted by fishing vessels in violation of national laws or international obligation, including those undertaken by cooperating states to a relevant regional fisheries management organization.
b. Unreported fishing means fishing activities:
- which have not been reported, or have been misreported to the relevant national authority in contravention of national laws and regulations; or
- Which have been undertaken in the area of competence of a relevant regional fisheries management organization and have not been reported, or have been misreported in contravention of the reporting procedures of that organization.
c. Unregulated fishing means fishing activities:
- Conducted in the area of application of a relevant regional fisheries management organization by fishing vessels without nationality, by fishing vessels flying the flag of a state not party to that organization or by any other fishing entity, in a manner that is not consistent with or contravenes the conservation and management measures of that organization; or
Conducted in areas or for fish stocks in relation to which there are no applicable conservation or management measures by fishing vessels in a manner that is not consistent with state responsibilities for the conservation of living marine resources under international law.